Return to home
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority
October 25, 2013

Ria Convery, MWRA
(617) 788-1105,

Lauren Kaufmann, Metropolitan Waterworks Museum
(617) 277-0065,

Artifacts from 19th Century Beacon Hill Reservoir Now On Display
at the Waterworks Museum

Today at 11:00 a.m., there will be a ceremony to mark the installation of two granite tablets that are the last remaining artifacts of the Beacon Hill Reservoir, which served the Beacon Hill area from the 1840s to the 1880s.

On hand for the event will be:

The tablets had been saved by the Boston Water and Sewer Commission and stored at the old Calf Pasture Yard until its closure. Then MWRA crews brought them up to the Gillis Pump Station at Spot Pond for safe keeping. They have now been installed at the Waterworks Museum as a permanent display.

October 25th also marks another important anniversary for the region’s water system. On this date in 1848, residents from all around New England gathered together on Boston Common to celebrate the completion of the Cochituate Aqueduct, which brought much-needed fresh water 15 miles from Lake Cochituate in Natick into the City. According to accounts, nearly 300,000 people were in attendance as the fountain at the Frog Pond was turned on and water shot 80 feet into the air.

The Metropolitan Waterworks Museum is located near the Chestnut Hill Reservoir at 2450 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02467.

MWRA -- Beacon Hill Reservoir
The Beacon Hill Reservoir

"Background Information on Beacon Hill Reservoir Granite Tablets" (PDF)
by Marcis Kempe, MWRA

Tablets from the Beacon Hill Reservoir, now installed at the Waterworks Museum

MWRA - Ribbon Cutting Ceremony 10/25/13
Ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Waterworks Museum

Banner for Water Celebration
Banner for 1848 Cochituate Aqueduct Celebration

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum Website
About the Waterworks Museum


Follow us
twitter icon
YouTube button

Back to top

Posted October 25, 2013