Return to home
Massachusetts Water Resources Authority


Updated June 10, 2019


Jeffrey McLaughlin

Commonwealth Avenue Pumping Station Improvements
(MWRA Contract 7524)

image of pump station

Go to Project Updates

About this Project:

MWRA’s Commonwealth Avenue Pumping Station supplies water to 85% of the City of Newton on a regular basis and can serve the remaining 15 percent in an emergency. The pumping station is supplied through a single connection to MWRA’s High Service City Tunnel. This project will provide a new connection to the station from two low service pipelines in Commonwealth Avenue and add low service pumps so that the City of Newton will continue to be supplied in the event of a City Tunnel failure.

This $6.8 million contract was awarded to WES Construction Corp. of Halifax, MA in January 2019 and is expected to be completed in about 18 months.

The Commonwealth Avenue Pumping Station was originally placed into service in 1953 and has received a variety of improvements over the years, including a renovation completed in 1999. That renovation upgraded the capacity and reliability of the pumping station and included the construction of a new ‘West’ Building to contain two additional pumps and a 900kW diesel-generator, and rehabilitation of the existing ‘East’ Building with new piping, valves and two pumps.

This project is one of the Metropolitan Redundancy Interim Improvements projects that are being implemented to improve emergency response to an unexpected shut down of the Metropolitan Tunnel system until a new redundant tunnel is constructed. The Commonwealth Avenue Pumping Station Improvements contract will provide a redundant potable water supply and other improvements to the pump station in the event that the City Tunnel needs to be taken out of service in an emergency.

Project Updates

June 10, 2019

Construction Update

Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA) recently awarded the rehabilitation of the Commonwealth Avenue Water Pumping Station contract to WES Construction Corporation (WES).   The work involves the installation of new pipe to existing MWRA water mains.  The entire project will take 18 months to complete. Approximately 50% of the work will occur inside the pumping station.

Within the next week or so, MWRA’s contractor, WES, will perform test pits within the carriage lane of Commonwealth Avenue.  Test pits are smaller excavations to determine the exact location of existing infrastructure and allow for measurements of the pipe. This will take approximately two weeks.

This week the MWRA and our contractor met with officials from the City of Newton, including the police department.  For the public’s safety and the expedition of this work, the Carriage Lane will be closed between Valentine Street and Wauwinet Road while test pits are excavated.

During this work, the Newton Police Department will allow residents who live in the area to travel in either direction on the Carriage Lane in order access their homes.

Water service to your home will not be interrupted.

The MWRA and our contractor appreciate your cooperation during this important water improvement project.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact MWRA Community Coordinator, Jeffrey McLaughlin at (617) 305-5762 or

Sign up for electronic project notifications and updates through our Everbridge service.

April 1, 2019

Construction Update

Contruction updates will be posted here.

Sign up for electronic project notifications and updates through our Everbridge service.


Follow us
twitter icon
YouTube button

Back to top

Updated: June 10, 2019
Original Post: April 1, 2019