POST-BOIL ORDER INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOOD ESTABLISHMENTS
What should be done when food establishments have been informed that the water supply is safe again?
The person-in-charge must ensure the following has been completed:
- Flush pipes/faucets: run cold water faucets for at least 5 minutes or follow more detailed directions from your water utility.
- Equipment with waterline connections such as post-mix beverage machines, spraymisters, coffee or tea urns, ice machines, glass washers, dishwashers, and other equipment with water connections must be flushed, cleaned, and sanitized in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle, if relevant.
- Drain reservoirs in tall buildings.
- Flush drinking fountains: run continuously for 5 minutes.
- Ice machine sanitation: Flush the water line to the machine inlet Close the valve on the water line behind the machine and disconnect the water
line from the machine inlet. Open the valve, run 5 gallons of water through the valve and dispose of the
Close the valve.
Reconnect the water line to the machine inlet.
Open the valve.
Flush the water lines in the machine.
Turn on the machine.
Make ice for 1 hour and dispose of the first batch of ice.
Clean and sanitize all parts and surfaces that come in contact with
water and ice, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Water heaters may need to be disinfected and flushed to remove any contaminated water. Some types of water treatment devices may need to be disinfected and flushed to remove any contaminated water. Some types of water treatment devices may need to be disinfected or replaced before being used. Check with the manufacturer for details.
- Flush restroom faucets:
Cold Water Faucets: Run tap water until the water feels cold, 1 minute or more.
Hot Water Faucets: To clear hot water pipes of untreated water, turn on all hot water faucets and flush for a minimum of 15 minutes.